Computer networking and telecommunications is a career that consists of data telecommunications, Internet routing, and desktop operating systems. In Early 2000’s, networking was considered to be one of the best jobs, and it is equally popular today. Some of the reasons for this high demand in networking are as follows:
- Firstly State Wide Area Networks being implemented in each state along with Data Centers.
- Secondly, with the proliferation of Wi Fi, every office was going ahead with installing a LAN.
- Thirdly with the increase in application of internet of things there is huge amount of data being added to networks which requires increased capacity intelligence within networks. This in turn requires shift in networking infrastructure which includes improved network capacity, connectivity and cloud technologies.
Job outlook of Computer Networking:
According to US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 8% growth is seen in employment of network and computer systems administrators from 2014 to 2024. It is about as fast as the average for all occupations. There is a huge demand for well qualified people in this field and will continue as companies are investing in newer, faster technology and mobile networks. There were 382,600 computer networking jobs recorded in 2014.
Job Prospects in Computer Networking
There are multiple roles you can get into when you choose your career path in computer networking. Some of the job titles and job roles in computer networking are mentioned below:
- Network Administrator: The role of Network administrators is to configure and manages local area networks (LANs) and sometimes also wide area networks (WANs).
- Network (Systems) Engineer: Computer network engineers, also known as network architects, plan and construct data communication networks, such as local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) systems.
- Network (Service) Technician: Job role of Network Service technician includes designing and installing well-functioning computer networks, connections and cabling. They also perform troubleshooting to system failures and identify issues which help in stabilizing the network connections.
- Network Programmer/Analyst: Computer systems analysts conceptualize and develop computing systems for organizations and businesses.
- Network/Information Systems Manager: They are involved in top-level planning and coordination of Hardware and software installation and upgrades. The duty also consist of supplication and programming of computer networks and software.
Educational Qualifications and Skills required:
Computer Networking or Telecommunications Degrees
Most of colleges combine the fields of computer networking and telecommunications into a single degree program. Associate in Science in Computer Networking and Telecommunications programs require about two years of study. Courses often include subjects like wide area network (WAN) theory and design, data telecommunications, desktop operating systems and Internet routing.
- Ability to explain complex data in an easy to understand way
- Efficiency in solving complex problems
- Analytical thinking skills
- Exceptional algebra, science and technical skills
- Know-how of IP addressing and some common networking protocols like IPv4 and IPv6.
- In depth knowledge of operating systems such as Windows (XP, Vista, and Windows 7), Linux and MAC OS.
- Fair understanding of various Networking Services such as directories, files, distributed applications, email, HTTP, FTP, DNS and some other common services.
- Command over security maintenance using encryption, firewalls, IDS, anti-virus, anti-spam etc.
- Knowledge of ISP/Communication Providersand Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).
- Basic idea of databases and database servers like MySql and Sql Server.
- Knowledge of windows servers
Job roles in Computer Networking:
Day to day life of computer network engineers consists of multiple roles and duties. Hereby are some of the tasks you would be performing in computer networking:
- To Analyze, develop and evaluate systems and specifications of computer systems
- To Assess network operations, software, hardware and systems and make recommendations for improvements
- To Create procedures for network inventory
- To Diagnose and find resolutions for network faults
- To Monitor traffic and activity for integrity and optimum performance
- To Provide maintenance for networks
- To Provide specific network programming for individual companies
The salaries depends on the job title and experience in this field. According to Payscale.com a Systems Engineer (Computer Networking / IT) earns an average salary of Rs 312,292 per year in India. The highest paying skills associated with this job are UNIX and Linux.
Certifications by Millionlights
If you are starting your career as a computer network engineer you would be required to do certifications in order to gain in depth knowledge of networking. Get started with courses in networking by millionlights and take a leap in your networking career. The courses are online, self-paced and provide you with flexibility to go with your pace and schedule. The courses help you in specializing in networking and are taught by expert instructors. We have following courses in computer networking:
- Computer communications: This course explains all the basic concepts of Computer Communication. This course is designed to give you a clear understanding of how networks, from in-home local area networks, or LANS, to the massive and global Internet, are built and how they allow us to use computers to share information and communicate with one another. Course outline and learning outcomes for this course are provided by Saylor Academy (Saylor.org), under a CC-BY Creative Commons 3.0 License. To enroll this course visit: https://www.millionlights.org/Course/AboutCourse?id=67&type=&pe=1
- Red Hat Linux Enterprise-Technical Overview: We have Red Hat Linux Enterprise-Technical Overview course which is led by Red hat. This course would help you with basics of Linux and demonstrate basic practical techniques of Linux use and system administration tasks for professionals new to the operating system. This course will prepare students to take more advanced courses and including those leading to the RHCSA exam. The course is available free of cost at: https://www.millionlights.org/Course/AboutCourse?id=118&type=&pe=1